Standardization of Organizational Performance Questionnaire

Poster Presentation , Page 271-271 (1)
Paper ID : 1215-SPORTCONGR
Assistant Professor in Department of Physical Education, Zahedan University of Medical Science, Zahedan, Iran
Introduction: Organizational performance refers to the way in which missions, tasks, organizational activities and their results are performed. Employee and customer satisfaction, efficiency, organizational effectiveness and financial results are examples of performance indicators. The purpose of this study was to determine the validity and reliability of organizational performance questionnaire.
Methods: Research method was descriptive and correlation type. The statistical population was 466 experts in Ministry of Sports and Youth. Using krejcie- Morgan table, the sample size was 214. However, 320 questionnaires were distributed. 294 questionnaires were returned (sample size). The research instruments included organizational efficiency (Pinprayong & Siengtai, 2012) and organizational effectiveness (Hsu, 2002) questionnaires. The content validity was confirmed by the professors of sport management and reliability was calculated by Cronbach's alpha coefficient. An exploratory factor analysis using orthogonal rotation was used to identify factors and factor load estimation and structural validity of the tool. For construct validity, a first-order confirmation factor analysis was used. Sampling adequacy tests (KMO) and Bartlett test were used to evaluate the correlation matrix. Data were analyzed using LISREL software.
Results: The results of exploratory factor analysis showed that all of the questionnaire items were classified in two factors: Organizational efficiency and Organizational effectiveness. 26.85% of the total variance was explained by Organizational effectiveness and 17.19% by the Organizational efficiency, which overall was explained about 44.04% of the questionnaire’s total variance. The fitting indexes of the confirmatory factor analysis of the dimensions including CFI, AGFI, GFI and RMSEA were reported 0.93, 0.90, 0.92 and 0.073, respectively. These results indicated that the whole indicator was desirable and aligned with the theoretical construct. The reliability of the final questionnaire was 0.92.
Conclusion: The Persian version of Organizational performance questionnaire (22-item) can be used as a validated and reliable tool for evaluating the characteristics of Organizational performance.